Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Quilled Monarch Butterfly

Hi craft enthusiasts,   

This is my first blog post on crafts.  Let me start with my favourite crafting Quilling.  My passion towards quilling began when my friend shared some of her work on our whatsapp group.  She said she went overseas to learn this art and had mastered it.  she had already started teaching this art when i just heard it for the first time. 


I am a very crafty person from childhood. I used  to do  lot of crafts during  my school days.  when I heard about this art, I wondered how I was ignorant  about this art this long.  I started googling  and my interest was kindled.  I learnt the basic techniques.  Joined various facebook groups to know where to start.  My first project was making jewellery.  I will make seperate posts discussing the basics of quilling and and how to make jewellery based on this art.

Today we stay focussed on this piece of wall art.  I love gardening and admire watching butterflies in my garden.  So I chose the gorgeous Monarch butterfly as my theme.


First step to creating a Masterpiece

1.   Decide on the base of your work
2.  Get your image either drawn or  printed
3.  Get your materials ready
4.  You are good to begin 


Materials needed

Quilling needle
black 5 mm strips
orange 5 mm strips
brown 5mm strips
yellow 5 mm strips
white 5mm strips
A sheet of cardstock
white glue
picture of a monarch butterfly for reference
a shadow box frame
This was my base picture, a googled image.  I printed it out, and pinned it to my work surface.
Using your quilling tool  roll circles with black strips and start pasting on the picture by appling glue.  Cut your strips smaller and roll smaller circles according to the space on the picture. You have to completely fill the black portion by shaping your quilled circles accordingly




Once you complete the wing portion with black, start with the white circles on the edge of the wings. make a spindle shape with black quilling strips for the body and paste it down.  Add a oval shape for the head and a piece of strip for feelers.

Phew!!!  you just finished up the most difficult and time consuming part of the project.  I assure you the coloured portion will be done in no time. Quill drop shapes in yellow, orange, brown and fill up the spaces.  

To give a better appearance add black strips on the lines you see on the picture to mark each segment of the wing.  And you are done with the creating the most beautiful quilled piece.

After you complete the quilled piece you have to make it a wall decor and protect your hard work from dust.  Open up the shadow box frame.  Insert the quilled art.  Secure with cellotape at the back and lock the tabs at the back.  And your art is all ready to adorn your wall.






Hope you all liked my work.  Happy Quilling!!!
Thanks for stopping by.💗
If you wish to purchase this art visit the link










No comments:

Post a Comment